Friday, January 29, 2010

Escapism

I have always been an avid reader, but during the 10 years I spent breastfeeding, reading took on new meaning for me. I had around four to six hours a day that I spent nurturing and nourishing my little ones and much of that I spent with a book in hand.
I learned early in my journey of parenthood that I needed to find space in my head where I could allow myself to escape from the pressures of life even if only for 1 hour or less. I found an escape in reading.
As a busy mom who wanted to do my best for my children, attachment parenting being my model, I felt quite guilty for even the thought that I should want to spend time for my self, but I just felt compelled to find some balance in my life. Reading helped me to achieve that along with my daily practice of yoga and meditation.
I learned to read fast also. As most breastfeeding mommas know, the baby doesn't always feed for long, so early on I would find it frustrating to sit down and read for just fifteen minutes, because I would be just getting into it when the baby would be finishing up.
I now find time to read at least one book a week even though I am no longer breastfeeding. In fact I often have simultaneous reading projects going on.
For example, at the moment I am working on "The Celtic Heroic Age", which is a scholarly work, as well as books of my latest favourite genre which is paranormal romance.
Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment